For The Irish Story, published 13 July 2020.
On Sunday, 9th September 1951, an impressive crowd gathered at Fairview Park for the unveiling of a new statue following a parade from Dublin city centre. The statue was of the late Chief-of-Staff of the Irish Republican Army (IRA), Seán Russell, who died at sea over a decade before. Russell was depicted on a large plinth, suited and with his right fist clenched in defiance.
The republican news sheet, The United Irishman, noted the parade that marched from Parnell Square represented groups across the breath of militant Irish republicanism, and included units of the IRA, cumann of Sinn Féin, along with members of Fianna Éireann, Cumann na mBan, Cumann na gCailiní, and Clann na Gael. There were also representatives from Dublin City Council and the GAA.